These were quite easy to do. I cut the wood squares out of lattice moulding and sanded the edges really well. I picked doubles of paint chips from the store, and used wood glue to adhere the chips to the wood. I put the chips between two pieces of wood and clamped them together to make sure they stuck evenly to the wood. When they were dry I placed them color side down, and trimmed them with a very sharp exacto knife.
The color matching game was inspired by one that they sell on most Montessori sites. I took plywood pieces and cut them to length, and then wood glued paint chip strips (tried to find extra wide ones so that I could cut away any writing) to them. I clamped and trimmed these the same way as above. I next cut large dowels into short lengths, and sanded. I took the leftover pieces of paint chips and glued them to the tops of the dowels – clamped them between wood and trimmed after dry. I do really like how this turned out. The backs are numbered for self-correction.
I did decide to purchase color box three, and it is so gorgeous!! Making box 3 would have put me over the edge…lol.